Sunday, November 29, 2015

Farmhouse Kitchen

Admittedly, I am not a cook. I am not even a baker. My family has miraculously survived on a diet that has consisted of mainly eggo waffles, corn dogs, and pizza. That being said, I have always postured that if I had the appropriate kitchen, I would be magically imbued with the culinary gifts, bestowed from the gods of fine cuisine. I hoped to take my pie in the sky ambitions and turn them into pie in the oven realities. 

That being said, I built my house around the kitchen. If nothing else, it would be the most functional, beautiful space that anyone ever toasted and microwaved in.

I was aiming for a traditional, farmhouse, country style. A space that was usable and durable. I love the look of wood floors, but the upkeep -with 4 kids and two dogs - made me nervous. We settled on "wood look" tile. It gave me the worn, barn wood, look that I loved, with the durability of tile.

I also love the look of marble for counter tops. My kitchen is north facing, so I had a concern that it may feel slightly dark. I wanted to go with the lightest surfaces possible to reflect and amplify the natural light that comes in. I was initially very drawn to the look of marble, but once again, I had to put practicality ahead of elegance. Marble stains way too easily and does not mesh well with the amount of fruit punch in this house. I found a white quartz with grey veining that mimicked the look I loved and gave me the durability I needed.

The cabinets were all custom made in a shaker style by our amazing carpenter. They are shaker style and finished in white lacquer rather than regular paint. This gave a more reflective surface and allows for easy clean up with just a damp cloth.









No comments:

Post a Comment