Friday, July 10, 2015

Recycled DIY Green House

As fate would have it, every year, for our anniversary, my husband and I inevitably stumble into a project. I love that instead of a ring, or fancy dinner, we do something to commemorate another year that we can look back on for the rest of our lives.

This year, we happened upon a fortuitous Craigslist posting. A gentleman was re-doing an old house and was looking for someone to take all the old windows off of his hands. I had always wanted a greenhouse, but the cost of glass was a major deterrent. I wasn't about to drop thousands of dollars on windows that one of my kids would inevitably hurl a football into, and as thrifty (cheap) as I am, there are some levels that even I wont stoop to. And residing on one of those levels are those cheesy plastic greenhouses from Harbor Freight or Big Lots.

So with no particular plan or elaborate thought process, we swooped on those windows!


We did slightly (by $500) underestimate just how much wood and siding this project would take. But, on the bright side, the labor was free!



We did not use any particular "plan". We kind of winged and customized the frame to fit the windows.


In another happy coincidence, my husband came across a killer deal on used brick. 20 cents per brick, and I would have my greenhouse floor!




A couple gallons of paint and a lot of screws later, we had almost a greenhouse!

I still need to add the vintage door that I picked up at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore, but even without the door hung, I absolutely LOVE how it turned out! And my husband loves that he isn't tripping over 15 garden trowels and bags of a spilled birdseed every weekend. Its the perfect place for propagating, storing and just enjoying the view!






DIY 


No comments:

Post a Comment