Saturday, February 28, 2015

Early Blooms and Sun Hat Birdhouse

One advantage to living in a climate where we hit 80 degrees in February, is that our spring blooms always arrive way ahead of schedule.

Since it gets way to warm out here to grow peonies, which are one of my favorite flowers, I have found a wonderful substitute with ranunculus.










As the blooms start emerging, the influx of birds begins. I have terrible luck with birdhouses being hurled out of trees and smashing, so I decided it was time to apply some ingenuity and  give the birds a home that cost nothing to build and bring a little creativity in the yard. I had old floppy sunhats laying around the house, that my husband has forbidden me to wear (at least in public). They had seen better days, and had become more dress up hats for my daughter than any kind of functional head wear.  I used scissors to cut a hole, and attached some scrap wood to the back.  Seems to be holding up well so far!





Even the fruit trees are being forced into early bloom. 






No comments:

Post a Comment